Ways to Create Float with Your Business and Earn Extra Cash
Float is duplicate money present in the banking system during the time between a deposit being made in the recipient's account and the money being deducted from the sender's account. This float allows you to earn interest of the money before you have to use the capital resource to fulfill your contractual obligations.
There are several ways you can earn income from the float generated from normal business activity.
- Pay an invoice on a Friday. A vendor has to give credit to your account the day they accept your payment but can’t cash it they deposit it into their bank account. Also the money is not taken from your account until the check is cleared. Pay an invoice on Friday will increase the float by at least one day but often two days if made in the afternoon. Many times the vendor will not even deposit the funds into their bank account until Monday afternoon giving you an extra day of float.
- Take advantage of “Bank” holidays. Many bank holidays are on a Monday so this holiday will give you an extra day of float. Thanksgiving will give you four days of float.
- Negotiate; you can negotiate your float by extending terms with your vendors. At the beginning of a business relationship you can ask your vendor to give you 60 or 90 terms with no interest penalty to pay invoices. Of course, your vendor will frown on this but if they really want your business they will comply.
- Gift Cards are an excellent way to accumulate float. This is great for retail businesses. Not only is there usually a great expanse of time between the purchase and redemption of a gift card but an estimated 10% of gift cards are never redeemed before the expiration period.
- Corporate Bonds - In this model, a company sells bonds to investors with the guarantee that is will buy them back for a fixed price after a certain has elapsed. Basically, this buy back price is paid from future sales. This allows your company to get cash now for sales in the future.
Many businesses can naturally lend themselves to acquiring float.
- Magazine companies create float by traditionally collect the yearly subscription charge up front while the production of the magazines are produced and distributed over time.
- Insurance companies collect premiums well in advance of any claims paid. Most of the time insurance companies are able to pay out claims from then interest earned and never touch the initial premiums collected.
- Funeral Homes are a natural long term float business with prepayment of funeral arrangements.
- Retail stores can create float with gift cards.
Who we are:
This blog is dedicated to help businesses increase productivity, decrease expenses and increase cash flow.
At ConnectionForce, we have created the very first online sales filter to allow you to pre-screen potential vendors before you agree to a meet with them.
Our goal is to totally eradicate Cold Calling as a sales technique within the next 5 years. (2015)
We are committed to making office managers and purchasers jobs easier by making sales people better.